The Mike Clark Legacy Foundation (MCLF) promotes self-worth in less privileged youth enabling them to make positive life choices.
WHAT WE DO
The MCLF positively impacts the lives of kids at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware. Since the organization was founded in 2008, it has:
- Raised over $1 million dollars to support its mission.
- Given ninety-three percent of its expenditures to directly support programs that make a difference in the lives of children. The remaining seven percent accounted for fundraising costs and fund administration costs paid to the Delaware Community Foundation.
- Renovated three sets of Learning & Skills Centers at the Clarence Fraim, H. Fletcher Brown and New Castle Boys & Girls Clubs. These Centers include renovated facilities, new modular furniture and state-of-the-art technology. The desktop computers, laptops, iPads, flat screen televisions, Smart Boards found in these Centers provide kids with access to technology and help bridge the “Digital Divide.”
- Hosted its annual Mike Clark Memorial Ride (MCMR) to raise funds to support its mission of helping kids.
- Developed and supported two programs at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware. Last year, the Mike’s TEAM mentoring program served over 100 kids in its one-on-one and group mentoring chapters. In spring of 2014, the pilot of the BOSS entrepreneurship and app development program helped kids think critically and creatively about real world problems.
- Recruited affiliate organizations to help accomplish its mission. Some of these are: Barclay’s Group, Connecting Generations, Delaware Community Foundation, McLaughlin Foundation, Public Allies of Delaware, Tech Impact and T. Rowe Price.
WHY WE DO IT
The MCLF was founded in 2008 to honor the memory of Delaware triathlete, Mike Clark. The organization aims to continue his lifelong service and dedication to youth by creating a lasting legacy for “his kids” at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware.
Mike Clark was a gifted triathlete who competed in numerous races and contests, including the Ironman Hawaii and Boston Marathon. He worked at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware for over 30 years, as a mentor and role model for youth. Mike’s untimely passing left a hole in the community, especially in the lives of “his kids” at the Boys & Girls Clubs.
Mike’s friends and colleagues formed the MCLF to continue his life work: helping youth succeed. Its members hope that they can give back to the Boys & Girls Clubs part of what was lost when Mike passed away.
All MCLF members and supporters are proud to say, “IM4 MIKE’S KIDS!”
For more information, please visit our website at www.mclf.org.